Friday, June 26, 2009

Hit it. Just hit it.

So, the title is a cheap shot. I don't care. I know that people will remember yesterday as the day that Michael Jackson died and completely overshadowed Farrah Fawcett's death (for real, cocktail parties world-wide will echo with the sentiments of "Michaels death was a tragedy but it was such a shame that Farrah didn't get a proper goodbye ..."). I was over Michael dying before he was dead (heartless, I know. It is sad. I KNOW.). I work in a newsroom. People were a flurry.

So, as a distraction for myself and anyone else out there who is cold hearted enough to admit that, although tragic, he wasn't exactly JFK, I am going to talk about something else. I have this lump, on my wrist, that has been there for about two years now. When I first saw it, I COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT. I thought I had cancer or something. But, then, my Mom "calmed me down" with the following conversation:

Me: Look at my wrist, I am a freak. I am going to die.
Mom: I don't see anything.
Me: Look. LOOK!
Mom: Oh, that's just a cyst.
Me: So I don't have cancer?
Mom: No. You have been playing too many video games.
Me: Oh. I want it to go away!
Mom: Hit it with a big book.
Me: Blank stare.

In about 2.5 I went from believing I had cancer to my Mom telling me to heal it by "hitting it with a big book, you know, like your art history book". The thought of breaking this cyst up under my skin and having cyst bits floating around my body makes me want to throw up in my mouth. So, I just left it and proceeded to show it off to anyone who would look. Most people tried to convince me it was my bone.

And that is how I have been living for two years. Then, a few weeks ago, I was playing pool volleyball and my wrist snapped back and it hurt. I don't have evidence that it was the cyst that caused the hurt, except that it was the cyst that was hurting. And it didn't stop hurting for two weeks. I wore a freaking wrist brace for goodness sake. Cris tried to get me to talk to the doctor about it but I was so worked up about my shins and they told me that it was a different doctor (of course) so ...

And when my awesomest neighbors, Noah and Sabrina, saw my wrist brace one Saturday on our way to a hiking (excuse me, not-hiking, long story (it was totally hiking)) trip they asked me what was up. And so I told them and while Sabrina was freaking out just like I WANT people to react, Noah is all "Oh, it's a Bible cyst." Excuse me what? Now Jesus did this to me!?! He explained that "You hit it with a King James Bible and it goes away". So, Mom and Noah are for hitting it with either an art history book or a Bible (there is some irony in there somewhere ... ) and everyone else, in the world, I hope, is for NOT.

I told Noah I at least would like a doctor to hit it with a Bible. More irony. So ... I don't really have a way of summing this up, mostly because the cyst still lives. So, I am installing a poll! You decide. What should be the fate of my cyst? (if you look to the right, in that column, there is a poll! Right above my followers.)

5 comments:

  1. Hit it with Julie's Art History book

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's totally the one I am talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that hitting it with a King James Bible (as opposed to any other big book, OR any other version of the Bible) was recommended. Can we start calling it other things: It's a Webster's Cyst; hit it with a dictionary. It's a Shakespeare Cyst; you must use the complete works of Will Shakespeare (anything less won't work). It's a King Cyst; use any unabridged Steven King novel.
    This is hilarious. Please talk to a doctor, Anja.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MICHAEL JACKSON IS DEEEEEED!!!
    DOn'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA!!

    seriously poor ferra facett she just did not have a chance, it really is a terrible thing.

    Also I think I had a Cyst in my foor at one point it scared the fuck out of me to, but I don't play video games with my feet, i just run around and dance maniac so that is evidence alone I don't usually stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the glory of a Ganglion Cyst...yes, I know, not nearly as interesting as a Bible Cyst, or any other neat-o name you could come up with. Ganglion is just a really fancy word for tissue mass. Although this one is filled with fluid, and the size of the cyst is typically the culprit for pain after things like volleyball.
    Go to the Dr. and ask them to aspirate it. Avoid having is surgically removed if at all possible because surgery sucks! The worst part of the aspiration is the local anesthesia before the big needle.
    Yeah, I have one, and have had it for years (like 8). When it became uncomfortable I had it aspirated, it has since come back but is much smaller and thus far no discomfort.
    Piece of cake to get this one fixed.

    ReplyDelete