Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shark Week tragedies

I have always had a passing interest in Shark Week. Basically, I watch it when I catch it. However, for my girlfriend Cris, it almost rivals the Super Bowl (ok, maybe I won't go that far. A playoff game maybe ... ). Therefore, I have been watching Shark Week all week long. yay.

Last night we were watching this show about shark attack survivors. It interested me enough that I was paying attention and we listened to several stories: the father, the thirteen year old girl, the young college student, the fisherman. There was only one that made Cris yell, "your stupid" and one that made Cris cry. Which stories you ask? Well, the one that was really the guys own stupidity was the spear fisherman. Honestly, you are hunting the same prey that the sharks eat and releasing their blood in the water. He was asking for it practically.

Which one made her cry you ask? Which one was so terrible, so horrendous and unthinkable that she cried? Oh, that was the one about the DOG. Yes. A dog. A small terrier. It was swimming under a dock, and it was attacked. The thing that I found incredible was the owner jumping in the water. THE SHARK INFESTED WATER and saving the dog. And before you cry too, yes, the dog lived.

This is not even close to being a new thing nor do I pretend to think that it is only Cris that falls prey to it (no pun intended). Why is it that people freak the frack out when they think that a dog or a cat is getting hurt but they don't give a rats ass about the three people that just died? What the hell is wrong with you people? Yep, I am lumping everyone else in the world into this category and I know what you are all thinking ... that I am heartless and horrible. You all are judging me because I don't watch the kitty cam in my free time at work. Well ... I just don't get it. And I certainly don't get why a dog getting attacked by a shark is more saddening than a kid. Jeez.

I am not NOT REPEAT: NOT SAYING that it isn't sad that the dog got bit by a shark. And, I think it is GREAT that he survived. He was cute. I just don't understand why a dog receives more empathy than a person. Please, feel free to enlighten me.

No comments:

Post a Comment