Monday, July 27, 2009

Wait wait wait

I think this one will actually be funny. That earlier blog post was just practice.

I am doing an article for the magazine about green products for the home. Sigh. I know, you don't have to tell me. Anywho, as I am looking at all of these products available, I am struck by two things.

1. People stretch the word "sustainable" pretty thin.
2. People buy stupid shit.

I LOVE the fact that you can buy "sustainable musical Instruments" and even more than that, I ADORE that you can buy them in a "family pack" OR "paint your own" (non-toxic, of course). Below is the product info for the Musical Instrument Family Pack:

The Musical Instruments Family Pack features authentic, rich-sounding instruments handcrafted by village artisans in Peru and Bali who wish to share their native musical traditions.

Collected by a unique fair trade company that helps engender a sustainable local economy in communities around the world.

Family Pack includes: 5 Instruments - Gourd Scraper w/ Rasp, Goat Hoof Shaker, Double Bell w/ Striker, Frame Drum, Large Coconut Claves; plus The Road to Jamtown Activity Guide, Simple Rhythm™ Cards & Jamtown Travel Bag.

Assembled in USA.

Goat Hoof Shaker?!?!? WTF. I also enjoy that it is "handcrafted by village artisans in Peru and Bali" and also "assembled in USA". And probably my favorite thing about this is the frequent use of the word "Jamtown" which both makes me giggle and also makes me think of strawberry jam.

Something in me just thinks that charging $68 for a "100% recycled Rubber Clock" that is made of scrap metal and an old tire is a little like spitting on me and telling me it's raining.

The really really sad part is that I am about to perpetuate all of this crap by writing a nice fluffy magazine piece about how you don't ACTUALLY have to do anything differently to save the environment, when, we all know it is really a crock of consumerist shit. Ahhhhhh, the world feels right again. Let's all go drive a hummer, because as long as we buy soy candles, the Earth will be just fine!

2 comments:

  1. Goat Hoof Shaker, yeah I Googled it. ICK! And what do they do with the rest of the goat to make the product sustainable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. word. Put me down for the Goat Hoof Shaker. ANJA. what the hell? I'm not shaking a goat hoof, no matter how much the Jamtown Activity Guide tells me to!

    ReplyDelete