I just finished watching the first YouTube debate. When I first heard about these debates I was really excited. The idea of web 2.0 reaching a wider audience and being embraced by mainstream media as well as involving the web community so directly in something so important is brand new and exciting.
This debate was definitely a bit different than most. The questions were obviously more candid and consequently I think the politicians were also. There were a few questions that really stuck hit home for me. One was a North Carolina African American minister asking why the religious views of a candidate was a good excuse for discrimination against homosexuals. I am sure you will hear about it in the news for the next few days, it seems to be a heavy favorite. It was directed at Edwards and he handled it fairly well. There was a lesbian couple asking directly if they will allow them to marry and finally a young kid who is an atheist asking how Non theist Americans get equal rights in a country that spends so much energy on the evangelical population.
It was a big night. Edwards and Clinton stuck out as leaders. I wish Obama had done better, he held is own but could have spun a bit less. Joe Biden did fairly well I think also. Anyone who didn't watch, I urge you to check YouTube for highlights. I look forward to September for the Republican debate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mike Gravel was pretty great too..
ReplyDeleteWHO ARE WE GONNA NUKE BARRACK!!?!?
ha ha ha , to funny. I was watchin MSNBC thing.. i'm not sure if watched the same thing... hrmmm..
But now you really have ruled over me I have followed you this far by getting an acount here as well! I don't know if I'll go any farther, unless it involves thai food..