Friday, July 27, 2007

Gay's get there own debate. Strange.

I am excited about this, don't get me wrong. The fact that this many key candidates are paying enough attention to GLBT issues is awesome. The guest list is impressive :

* Hillary Clinton,
* Christopher Dodd,
* John Edwards,
* Mike Gravel,
* Dennis Kucinich,
* Barack Obama, and
* Bill Richardson

But it is sort of strange. And it is airing on MTV and Logo. Good for us. We get our own debate. And not unlike the YouTube debates the questions are generated by the public at large, the HRC sent me an email today asking me for a question. So what would be my question? My number one "agenda" is getting included in the anti-discrimination laws, I think the whole marriage and adoption issues would be helped if we were recognized as human beings period.

I just wonder...none of these candidates (to my knowledge)are running on a pro-gay platform. The candidate that so far has been most supportive is actually former New York mayor Rudy Gulliani although he has been shy about it since he is running with the big boys. Perhaps it is part of his distancing himself from this issue. But it seems stupid to not include himself.

Maybe the entire idea will just take some getting used to. I should be excited right? Well, except that during the YouTube debate all of the democrats when asked about gay issues politely said, "Sorry, but no". I guess I just feel like there is no reason to have a debate to hear about all of the things that they AREN'T going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment