Tuesday, April 14, 2009

OH, but the goals they will have.

I guess at some point during childhood they tell you that life will be hard. That maybe all your dreams won't come true and that things may take a while. But boy, do I NOT feel prepared for the shit storm that is adulthood. First of all, bills. Bills suck. Really badly. They are never ending and feel like throwing money away. THROWING IT AWAY. I would like to go back to childhood where earning something meant dusting your moms collectibles.

Secondly, careers. Uh, huh. Being a "career driven adult" is something that I have always striven to be. But, the problem with striving towards something and having it become part of your identity is that when you reach a certain point, you feel like you should have then reached "the goal". But then, you realize that maybe that isn't the goal you meant to have reached. So then you try for a different goal. And you realize then, that maybe that isn't the right goal either. And there is this constant cycle of striving and achieving and being unsatisfied. I think it is because we enjoy the striving more than the achieving. You really know when you are striving, there is forward movement and progress and then achieving just feels like treading water. You got to the deep end, now you have to stay afloat. Bah. How depressing is that?

At least the relationship thing is working out. For myself at least. Some of my friends aren't so lucky. And I don't even know why that is. Why is it so hard? It is dang Hollywood and the stupid Romantic Comedies. Like falling in love should be this series of mildly humorous events and then happily ever after! So not how it works. There were actually some studies I read about a few months ago that confirmed that fact. That lots of people have trouble finding love because they expect it to be like the movies. Aside from being a bit obvious and not really worthy of a study it is also a bit pathetic. Real life people. If it was like the movies, movies wouldn't be worth going to see.

I realize that all of this is a bit of a downer, but it honestly isn't meant to be. Just a reality check. Reality is a bit of a downer. As evidenced by a whole slew of 90's movies. There I go again living in the movies. Except in reality we all aren't heroine chic. Oh 90's, why did you make us think we could wear over sized flannel?

No comments:

Post a Comment