Monday, July 27, 2009

For the love

OMG, I desperately need to put some funny up in here because this place is getting depressing. So ... movies. What a nice un-offensive topic!

This has been a great summer for movies. Unfortunately I haven't really seen any of them, but I have wanted to see almost everything that has hit the theater. I have a free movie ticket burning a whole in my pocket to go see Harry Potter, something I have to see more out of obligation to my obsession than any real want. After all, I already know what is going to happen. Why can't I just let these things go? (Uh, I am letting Twilight go, however, that is one unhealthy obsession that I have cut out of my life. There should be some sort of Twilight's Anonymous meeting to help people with that shit. Seriously.)

Cris and I are trying to take advantage of the dollar theater in Knoxville. Of course by dollar theater, I mean the $2 theater. The theater that up until last week let you get a combo and for $4 you could get a medium drink and popcorn AND YOUR MOVIE TICKET. Hot damn that is a good deal. And then they ripped my heart out and took that deal away. So, on Sunday, Cris and I went and saw "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" which I would never have paid to see in a normal theater. I have to say though, for a romantic comedy and, even worse, a Charles Dickens romantic comedy adaptation at that, it was half-way decent. Cute, even. I think being a relationship is making me soft. Matthew McConaughey, you stole my pride.

What happened to the days when I was a borderline movie buff? When I saw everything worth seeing in the theater and everything else on dvd. I guess part of it is just growing up and part of it is lack of funds and part of it is that I am no longer a blockbuster employee. Dude, I saw EVERYTHING when I was a blockbuster employee. Still, I can't believe I am not seeing at least the action films .. Transformers, Terminator, Public Enemies .. in the theater ... with the big screen and the loud speakers and the darkness and the yummy popcorn! Oh my youth, where have you gone?

We did go see The Hangover on Friday (again, we had tickets) and it was really really funny. We needed something light-hearted and it really delivered. I haven't seen a comedy that good in years. I would recommend it to anyone. Except don't watch the pictures at the end of the credits. They cross a line that no lesbian wants to witness.

We also splurged on Friday and got a combo at the concession stand. Why is it that "concession" has become code for "rip-off"? I could write a manifesto on how ridiculous it is that two drinks and a popcorn where nearly $20 but this is supposed to be light-hearted. ;)

The truth, my friends, is that there are many a-changes afoot in my life and we are just sort of waiting to hear on the job front for Cris and it is consuming my thoughts. Consuming them to the point that trying to think of entertaining blog posts is beyond my reach. But I love the outlet that this blog allows me. It lets me feel like people care ... LET ME KEEP MY ILLUSIONS!

Movies help us escape from the crazy in life. Hence me watching .... 4. Yes, four movies this weekend. Passing time with suspended disbelief seemed just the thing to do. Welcome back, my favorite past time. I missed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment