Monday, July 6, 2009

My. worst. nightmare.

Literally. I used to have this re-occurring nightmare as a child that we lived in this huge tank of water... shudder. I was stumbling around the internet today when I saw a list (I do love a list) of 12 cool swimming pools. So I look. And number three ... ohhhhhhhhhh I'm going to be sick.



Head between my knees. Ohhhhhhhhh, I'm so nauseous. ... Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

So, I have a fear of open water. Or closed water. Large bodies of water. And especially ones that I imagine to have huge man-eating creatures like those that are OBVIOUSLY lurking in this ones nooks and crannies. Upon seeing this picture I was immediately swept wind tunnel style complete with whooshing noise and blackout to this re-occurring nightmare I used to have as a child.

The details are sketchy, but, I do remember there being a huge huge huge tank of water. I lived in it, with my family, and there was a beach that we could go up to after we crawled on this ledge thing. But it was always messy (meaning we had to clean it) and I was always accidentally starting to drown. And there were whales and sharks in it and we had to try to keep them out. And there were also people that tried to chase us. But mostly, I just remember it being VAST. And that vastness, along with the presence of water and the possibility of creature is what gives me panic attacks in pools, even as an adult. It isn't that I actually think anything is going to happen to me it is that I imagine that it will. Having a powerful imagination can be your worst enemy at times like this.

It may not sound all that scary but as I am sitting here at my desk, years and years later, trying not to be sick, with a slight head ache, clammy hands and a sour stomach, I promise you that it was. And this damned pool that ONLY CRAZY PEOPLE WOULD GO NEAR, MUCH LESS BUILD, is that nightmare come to life. The realization of my worst nightmare. Thank you world, I hate you.


The other 11 not-nearly-as-scary pools.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, can't look directly at that picture. I get sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply outstanding. When I dream that I'm in a big pool, I end up breathing the water. But usually, I just have flying dreams, so this pool looks like a dream come true (scuba gear required in reality, of course).

    ReplyDelete