I try to avoid both of these subjects in my blog. Mostly because I have lots of friends with views that oppose my own and I would like to keep them as friends. Also, I don't like being serious because it is boring. But sometimes I read an article, or a subject gets under my skin just enough that I really need to rant about it. So, if you don't want to hear about health care and abortion, stop reading now.
The article that started this brain riot is here: Abortion is latest controversy in health overhaul
Now, the article basically discusses how abortion opponents are mad because there is no clear language in the health care bill that explicitly denies abortion. Which has to be the stupidest f-ing thing I have heard this week. FIRST OF ALL, abortion is a legal medical procedure that is performed in this country. Let's just make that clear. And if an abortion is NECESSARY, even a late term one ... no. ESPECIALLY a late term abortion, then it should be covered under whatever health care a person has. However, before you start freaking out too much and calling me a baby killer ... hear me out.
One thing that I do not think should be covered under the national health care system is optional or unnecessary procedures and medications. I don't want to pay for your viagra or your nose job. Unless your nose became deformed in a terrible accident. Then maybe. There are just so many gray lines. My point is this: should the women who use abortion as birth control get their abortions covered by the government? No, absolutely not. But should mothers who's pregnancies become toxic to their bodies be able to get an abortion? Yes. Or when the child is going to be born with severe mental and physical abnormalities? Yes. Or when a 13 year old is raped by her father or uncle and becomes pregnant? Without a doubt. And just like there shouldn't be language in our constitution that defines marriage as between a man and a woman, there shouldn't be language in a health care bill that prohibits a legal procedure.
Let me reinforce that CURRENTLY, ABORTION IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE BILL. It is anti-abortion lobbyists and activists that are trying to get it specifically excluded. The potential rights infringement that this could cause would be nothing short of illegal based on previously ruled upon abortion laws that are in place in this country. I am tired of conservatives trying to create laws of exclusion in this country. That isn't what America is about. It is supposed to be a country of inclusion. Somewhere along the way we have forgotten that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment