Sensationalism, and cries of the sky falling are not really my thing, but I am beginning to get worried. And before my journalist friends blast me with their superior knowledge, let me just put out the disclaimer that I am not an expert, I am merely commentating and sharing my view. And my concern is not even completely stemmed from the fact that I am currently employed by a small newspaper either. But, seriously folks, the sky is falling on journalism.
It feels like a domino effect of the business ... recently larger newspapers have closed and more are going to web only. The problem with this web only "solution" is that they aren't going to continue investigative journalism (for the most part). From what I understand about the business models that are being presented is that for the most part they will be publishing content generated by outside sources from the same company. This of course, also only works for the large media companies, like Gannett and such, who have the resources of other publications to support their content.
And besides the problem of the actual business failing, then you also have smart asses like myself who blog about every dang thing in the world and don't have the benefit of editors or you know, journalistic standards, to adhere by. (Again, I am a SOCIETAL COMMENTATOR, I don't do news ... just to clarify that I am not one of these folks :D)
But what I think a lot of people forget, is that it is the small home town newspapers that do things like go to city council and school board meetings, interview local business owners and actually GET INVOLVED in the community. While there is a "replacement" for printed newspapers with online zines, there is not a replacement for the footwork, grueling hours, and crappy pay that these journalists do. And a lot of the legwork that they do is what keeps local politicians and corporations honest. Because there is someone who's job it is to call them on their shit.
One of my favorite "news stories" lately was the hubbub surrounding the fight between Jim Cramer and the almighty Jon Stewart. I think a lot of people missed the point that Jon Stewart was making in the bigger picture. About how the networks are just taking the CEO's words for things and not actually investigating this stuff (seriously folks, it wasn't really about Cramer). But he did make clear the job of a journalist, and remind us all of why it is such an important profession. We have relied on reporters for decades to find the truth behind the lies, to find the cheats, the scoundrels, and the snakes in the grass.
Don't get me wrong, there has been corruption in journalism as well. Plenty of it. Even in the last ten years, the globalization and incorporation of hometown newspapers into these huge media companies has been a problem in itself. But the underlying issue remains the largest. Without people to call attention to a problem, without whistle blowers to create a tizzy about underhanded dealings, the corruption will spread. Because people are greedy. Look at the greed in the banking system when they were allowed to run a muck and at least Cramer got yelled at for not calling that out. That pacifies me a bit, makes me a little warm and fuzzy. But it doesn't change the fact that journalism has to find a place ... and soon. A system that will allow journalists to actually get paid (and better, would be nice) and have the resources to keep up the little things. And to make sure that from the bottom up, things are running smoothly.
If you are reading this on facebook, check out my irregular blog at anjalog.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

amen, sister.
ReplyDeleteI saw a news story on tv about all the newspapers that were closing, and it made me sad (since ... yeah, that was the beginning of the real world for me). I think that small papers might actually do fine, though, in a world without large dailies. We'll talk about it.