My only real vice is coffee. I mean, sure I drink and occasionally smoke, but not to the point that I would call it a "vice". But coffee ... oh, coffee ... how you steal my heart. I NEED COFFEE. Once, my mother gave me a bag of really nice coffee beans that she had sitting around because she didn't have a grinder. I love grinding my coffee beans, especially high quality, really dark beans. There isn't a color, smell, or texture in the world that makes me happier than freshly ground coffee beans. So all week I grind these beans and drink my normal morning pot of coffee.
This also happened to be at the start of fall, and with the weather changes, I was getting these HORRIBLE headaches. They were practically debilitating. I even went home early one day because I am thinking, I have never had allergies this bad or maybe I am starting to get migraines. And it was around Thursday (this had been going on since the previous weekend) that I thought to look at the front of the bag ... decaf. DECAF! I had been depriving my body of it's caffeine (and large amount of it, I might add) all week. And by this time, the headaches weren't coming as bad. I was weaning myself of the caffeine.
I told my friends that day of my discovery. First, they couldn't believe that I was sooo addicted to caffeine that it had messed me up that badly. They had witnessed my pain! And secondly, they thought it was a bit pathetic. So I had a decision to make. I was off of caffeine. It was out of my system. I could keep drinking decaf and be a healthier person. But then, I had a reality check. I LIKE caffeine. It is my one addiction, and as far as addictions go, it is fairly mild.
But now, I am worried I am forming a new addiction. As for how innocent, that is still up for discussion. I am now on myspace, facebook, blogger, plinky and artbistro. Actively. I know! Oh, and one German facebook that I am not so active on ... I just know someone. Long story. Anyway, I have also discovered the joy of rss feeds. Google Reader! I can follow my blogs, the news ... it is like all the websites I go to .. in ONE PLACE. IT IS AWESOME. But I think that my dependence on the internet is increasing. My need to feel connected may be unhealthy.
I do have the excuse that most of my friends live in a different state and it is a great way to keep in touch with them! I know. It's lame.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm addicted to caffeine, too. Specifically, the caffeine found in chocolate.
ReplyDelete:)
Justify how ever you need to. And while you are at it come uip with an excuse for me when I am no longer behind a desk with a computer all day long.
ReplyDelete