Sunday, March 15, 2009

Why I choose to be blue (collar)

I grew up in a blue collar environment. My mom, without a college degree, has been in and out and is currently in banking, but along the way she has owned her own business with a home daycare and has been a nurses assistant. My father, who never got a high school diploma or a GED, is firmly in the blue collar column. He ran his own lawn care business, was a maintenance man, and now is a plumber. And while my parent's have never been rich, we have done well and live comfortably.

You hear stories about kids who's parent's didn't have much education pushing their kids toward it. But mine always insisted that we at least learn a trade, college was optional. I used to feel, and still do often, guilty for never have gotten a four year degree. 95% of my friends are college graduates, and I often feel like I am not living up to my potential not having that coveted piece of paper.

The truth is though, that there are very few of my friends who have a four year degree or beyond and that have a job that I am jealous of. Or that even fulfills their potential. I have never had trouble finding work. I interview well. I am very articulate and the field I did go into, graphic design, is more about your portfolio and your skill than it is about your degree. I have been very lucky in the job department.

But, I never stop talking about going back to school. I know for a fact I want to be self employeed eventually. If only I had some start up money, I would already be. But, along the way I have thought of going to law school, social work, therapist, personal trainer, and even a life coach (I will write a post on that later). Not to mention my lifelong dream of being a welder and a firefighter.

The more I think about these things though, and the more I think about how I like to spend my time, I realize that ... I don't want to go to school to think. I want to go to school to DO. I am a doer. I like working with my hands. I realized at some point that not only would a blue collar job save me in a recession like the one we are in, but would also make me happier. I like being physically tired at the end of the day. I like my body and my mind having to work in unison. And there is no shame in that. It doesn't make a person with a phd smarter than me (well, theoretically). I am smart person. I CHOOSE this.

I have decided to go back to school to be a pastry chef. It allows me to keep being creative, but I get to work with my hands. And eating doesn't really go into recession. Everyone eats. It is also a flexible enough career that I can open my own bakery down the road. I get sideways looks by most when I tell them what I want to go back to school for. I think people feel that I am not living up to my potential. But I ask for some trust, for some faith that I am going to do great things with my abilities. That I am going to be successful no matter what I am doing. Because I am a successful person. That is what I decided for myself a long time ago. And, people that know me would agree, when I decide something I won't be stopped.

1 comment:

  1. True story: You can do anything. And, by that, I don't mean "anyone can do anything" because I don't really believe that. But I do believe that YOU can do whatever you put your mind to. And that's because I know you. (Also, I'm not friends with slackers).
    :)
    I know a girl who is a private chef. She's kind of strange. But if you wanted advice or anything, she's probably a good person to talk to. She's really really strange.

    ReplyDelete