Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm sorry, you do what again?

As most of you know, Cris (my gf) is looking for a job. Of course, being the awesome gf that I am, I help her look. It is NOT a good time to be looking for a job, just in case you have been living under a rock and have no idea. However, I have noticed one career area that seems to be thriving and there are, in fact, plenty of openings. Social or new media managers. For those of you that aren't sure exactly what that means, let me spell it out for you. THEY GET PAID TO PLAY ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER ALL DAY!

Now, before anyone starts making pointed jokes (har har har, isn't that what you do all day Anja?) - No. I get paid to do design work and I am really good at multi tasking and I have a lot of widgits that allow me to have a strong online presence while still getting all my work done (otherwise known as: I am the shit.). These people actually do this as a job description! Let me share with you a portion of an average posting for this position:

  • Develop and execute a digital marketing plan delivering marketing programs that drive revenue including email campaigns, and blogger outreach. (I.E. set up a facebook and twitter page)
  • Keep abreast of emerging internet trends and investigate, recommend and implement new technologies and programs to improve e-marketing program effectiveness. (I.E. Join Beta's)
  • Analyze competitors’ online presence and digital marketing strategy, including website structure and content. (I.E. send friends requests to our competitors)
  • Work with the marketing team to develop audience-specific messaging, plan targeted communications and identify content additions and design modifications to the Web/Blog/Social Media sites. (I.E. Fuck around all day on twitter with the guys in marketing )
I get it. Social media isn't going away and advertisers are desperate to try to get a slice of the pie. And I also get that most companies don't know how to use these sites, especially not to their advantage. Let me make this simple:

1. Create a facebook, twitter and myspace page for your company.
2. Friend your customers and target audience.
3. Communicate both special deals as well as company 'personality' on these pages. Be fun! Be young! Be hip!
4. See little to no effect because your target audience is actually younger, smarter and DEFINTELY hipper than you or your overpaid social or new madia manager.

I realize that I am plugging my gf and her career here but I honestly think that a balance between regular old advertising (albiet maybe in a different place than the past) and community relations projects are the best way to build a brand. Because you don't actually have to SELL anything if you build a strong enough brand. Your customers will come to you. Need an example? Try Nike, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Apple ... hell, even McDonalds! The list goes on and YES these things can happen on a smaller, more local scale. If you need help with that ... I know a great PR lady who is available for hire ;)

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Thanks baby! I'm wondering tho if I should try to get a job as a new media coordinator. I mean, really, get paid to pay on the puter all day!? We could move to anywhere we wanted!!! :)

    ReplyDelete