I would not say I get "annoyed" with people when they call a non-WASP character in a movie a "token" something but ... I don't get it.
Token black guy, token fat guy, token gay guy ... first off, it's always the guy. Maybe not, token ugly chick, token hot chick, token cheerleader ... are these characters "token" or are they diversity? Maybe they are token when they are a caricature or a stereo-type? Because that doesn't seem to be it. It just seems like if there is a cast of people and there is one black guy he is the "token" black guy. Like, they had to add some minority so people wouldn't come after them or something.
The rambling, confused, less pointed than usual consistency of this post should tell you that I am not trying to make a point. I honestly don't get it and would love for someone to explain it to me. I suppose I could google it. After all, that is what I tell people to do when they ask me a stupid ass question.
BRB *************
LOOK! Google did not fail! There is a wikipedia article about it! Never mind that it was flagged by about three "this may be complete bullshit" tags.
Read on reader:
Tokenism refers to a policy or practice of limited inclusion of members of a minority group, usually creating a false appearance of inclusive practices, intentional or not. Typical examples in real life and fiction include purposely including a member of a minority race (such as a black character in a mainly white cast, or vice versa) into a group. Classically, token characters have some reduced capacity compared to the other characters and may have bland or inoffensive personalities so as to not be accused of stereotyping negative traits. Alternatively, their differences may be overemphasized or made "exotic" and glamorous.
So ... whatev. I don't buy it. Embrace the tokenism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I was the token white friend in high school. That is all.
ReplyDeleteDon't confuse yourself over it! People like to stereo type. Yes it is funny and it is offensive all at the same time, but what you should remember is that you and I are not stereo types, we are actually individuals with our own brain, and maybe you should start a fight about with someone who next time tries to call someone the token black guy or the token asian guy/gay guy. I should probably stop, cause then I'll get into this whole tangite about Race relations and that America has SERIOUS problems with it.
ReplyDeleteAlso this thing wants to spell correct me by capitalizing asia and I'm not going to do it.
BEN
(seriously though ASIA!!)