News flash: life is hard. I know, I wanted to jump off of a bridge too when I heard about it. But, don't panic, because in the way that I have of being eternally optimistic (and simultaneously a jerk) I have come up with a patent pending three step program for dealing with life. In general. I know, the topic is a bit broad but I never said I was humble.
Step 1: Decide what is important to you. It sounds simple but it is actually really hard. We have a lot vying for our attention, especially as adults. For some people, the path through life is easier because they just follow the standard model. Childhood, teenage shenanigans, graduation, college, job. But, then there are those who don't follow that model. Because those people (myself included) have made life harder than necessary, I am not going to address them right now. I am going to address those folks that followed, somewhat, the model and everyone else can figure out how to tweak it.
Once you get to the job part, there is a serious drop off in structure of life. Some would argue that there is then marriage, a child, a house, etc. But this is where I think you need to figure out that first sentence before you get into all of that. Are you a career person? A family person? Both? Is your fitness more important than your career? Equally? More than your spouse? I realize that none of these questions is fair to ask. But really, all of our priorities as adults go back to our goals. Unless you are brain dead, you have goals. Even if you aren't conscious of them. And I also realize that the answers are all nuances of the number one. Because, everything has to come first. Everything has to be important. But, go ahead, allow yourself a moment to break that number one spot up into all of the things you have to accomplish ... and focus accordingly.
Step 2: Live in the moment. Now, this is actually EASIER than it sounds once you get the hang of it. And I don't just mean that you need to learn to enjoy where you are in life rather than being all "the grass is greener". I mean that, but I also mean that you need make your choices in the moment and in regard to step 1. Confused yet? Good. Let me give you an example: Say that your 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 are Family, job and health. But, at the moment you are being offered crack. Ok, well, that happens. But here is how you deal with that. You say, in this moment, do I need to do this? How is going to affect my priorities and goals? Is it worth the consequences? I happen to think that there is never a moment in life where smoking crack is a good idea. In fact, I often wonder how someone takes that first step. Because, it seems like you would literally feel the wind in your hair from that slippery slope you are heading down. I guess that is part of the high, I am not sure. So, lets do another example. Say your goal is to lose weight. Ok, well, somehow you ended up at the drive thru of a Wendy's. Crap. Well, live in the moment. Don't think about how you will make up for it later or how you ate well earlier so it is ok ... no, think about the decision you are making in that moment and whether it is good or not. Can you do better? Can you get the grilled chicken instead of the hamburger? How is your choice affecting your goals? Just practice, it gets easier.
Step 3: Decide that you are worth the work. Because life is hard, as we have discussed. And if you have no sense of self worth, it is easy to make poor decisions. Because, you don't care enough not to. Achieving any goal, whether it be a fancy degree, running a marathon, losing 50 pounds or getting married ... all of those consist of making very small decisions all day long and following the path of your priorities.
See how I pulled all of that together? Good. You got it. Now go do it. You should be feeling somewhat inspired right now. Choose a goal or a priority and actualize it. Right now.
Go.
No, I am serious.
Leave.
Navigate away.
In fact, why are you still at your computer?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My excuse is, I have 3 roomates (one being my boyfriend)and I am the only one with car. 2 of them have full time jobs including myself and so it really draaags.............................................
ReplyDeletewait no
those are excuses
I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN!
AND I WILL NEVER STOP!
AND YOU SHOULD NEVER STOP EITHER! MOVE IT GIRL MOVE IT GIRL MOVE GIRL!! I SEE YOU DANCIN THERE! BEIN ALL LIKE ... YAAAH! MOVE IT GIRL..
thanks Anja
BEN
I was just skimming this blog, and as I skimmed into step two I read it as "live in the basement" instead of "live in the moment". I just thought that was kind of funny. I should probably stop skimming and actually start reading so I don't get any more important details terribly wrong.
ReplyDelete